Selly Oak Hospital, due for closure in 2010, was originally developed in 1870 as King’s Norton Union Workhouse, on Raddlebarn Road, by King’s Norton Poor Law Union.
Opened in 1883 to accomodate the hospital’s move from Cannon Street in 1823, the building – designed by Payne & Talbot – is fortunately still standing and is a prime example of Victorian Architecture as can be seen above. As with the other City Centre hospitals – the building was insufficient to cope with today’s […]
Opened in 1888 – following transfer of facilities from Newhall Street which began operating in 1881 – the Birmingham and Midland Hospital for Skin and Urinary Diseases operated from its John Bright Street base for nearly 100 years before its work was transferred to George Road Edgbaston and is now part of the Dudley Road […]
Opening in 1891, the Birmingham & Midland Ear, Nose & Throat Hospital in Edmund Street is one of a handful of what we would now call ‘sepcialist’ hospitals that were constructed around the City Centre during the 19th Century. Designed by Jethro Cossins and F. B. Peacock, the building today cuts an impressive figure as […]
Built in 1900 by Martin & Martin as an asylum, Hollmoor Hospital, due to its green dome capped water tower, has been something of a landmark in South Birmingham – the water tower being thankfully retained, along with some of the original buildings, to form a health centre. Opened in 1905 the hospital originally served […]