Archive for April, 2009

Birmingham & Midland Eye Hospital – Church Street/Edmund Street

Opened in 1883 to accomodate the hospital’s move from Cannon Street in 1823, the building – designed by Payne & Talbot – is fortunately still standing and is a prime example of Victorian Architecture as can be seen above. As with the other City Centre hospitals – the building was insufficient to cope with today’s […]


Birmingham and Midland Hospital for Skin and Urinary Diseases – John Bright Street

Opened in 1888 – following transfer of facilities from Newhall Street which began operating in 1881 – the Birmingham and Midland Hospital for Skin and Urinary Diseases operated from its John Bright Street base for nearly 100 years before its work was transferred to George Road Edgbaston and is now part of the Dudley Road […]


Birmingham & Midland Institute – Margaret St/Cornwall St

The Birmingham and Midland Institute was founded in 1854 with a mission “for the Diffusion and Advancement of Science, Literature and Art amongst all Classes of Persons resident in Birmingham and the Midland Counties” and operated from a purpose built building in Paradise Street – a short distance from its present-day location – which was […]


Birmingham & Midland Ear, Nose & Throat Hospital – Edmund Street

Opening in 1891, the  Birmingham & Midland Ear, Nose & Throat Hospital in Edmund Street is one of a handful of what we would now call ‘sepcialist’ hospitals that were constructed around the City Centre during the 19th Century.  Designed by Jethro Cossins and F. B. Peacock, the building today cuts an impressive figure as […]


Woodview Estate – Edgbaston

The City of Birmingham has a great time-honoured tradition of replacing substandard housing with soon-to-become substandard housing – see the results of  inner-City slum clearance around Aston, Newtown and Nechells for prime examples – and where once we had great swathes of the City cleansed of their private hovels to be replaced by the wonders of municipal […]


Birmingham Assay Office – Newhall Street

Opening in 1773 following the Hallmarking Act, the purpose of the Birmingham Assay Office was to validate the quality of the precious metal used and to hallmark the item to attest to this measure having been validated (the hallmark indicating the maker and date of item and the anchor symbol indicating the Birmingham Assay Office).  With a […]


Birmingham School of Art – Margaret Street

A striking and impressive structure, the Birmingham School of Art building in Margaret Street was commissioned in 1877 to house the then-independent School in a purpose built environment designed, with typical Gothic overtones, by John Henry Chamberlain (a contemporary of, but no relation to, celebrated Mayor Joseph Chamberlain). During the 1970s the building became co-opted […]


The Futurist Cinema – John Bright Street

Work began in 1914 on the then to be named Majestic Theatre which opened some two years later in 1916 only to change its name to The Futurist Theatre some three years later in 1919. Always trying to be at the forefront of the cinematic medium, the Futurist was the first cinema in Birmingham to have curtains […]


Birmingham Stock Exchange – Margaret Street

Due to Birmingham’s flurishing industry and growing reputation as a centre of commerce, a regional Birmingham Stock Exchange was setup in 1845 through the Birmingham Stock Exchange Association which met in a variety of venues in the City Centre before coming to rest in the building that is seen above in 1928, the year of […]


Birmingham Museum of Science and Industry – Newhall Street

One of  the single greatest losses to the heritage of Birmingham occurred in 1997 when Birmingham City Council closed the Museum of Science and Industry which occupied part of the former Elkington Silver Electroplating Works in Newhall Street and had operated since 1951. The Museum was a fascinating Aladdin’s Cave of industrial heritage exhibits crammed […]


Order artificial grass online from QuickGrass
Order artificial grass online from QuickGrass